A university model tailored to the territory
The University of Rennes brings together training departments (UFR, faculties, schools, institutes), research centres and five Grandes Écoles who participate in the development and implementation of the strategy of the University of Rennes: École des Hautes Études en Santé Publique (EHESP), École Nationale Supérieure de Chimie de Rennes (ENSCR), École Normale Supérieure de Rennes (ENS Rennes), Institut National des Sciences Appliquées de Rennes (INSA Rennes), Sciences Po Rennes.
The University of Rennes also works in association with the Université Rennes 2, the École Nationale de Statistique et Analyse de l'Information de Rennes (ENSAI) and the Institut Agro Rennes-Angers to pursue and develop joint projects.
National research organisations – CNRS, INRAE, Inria, Inserm – and the university hospital, the CHU de Rennes, participate as partners in the development and implementation of the scientific strategy of the University of Rennes.
A new multidisciplinary institution with a public service mission of higher education and research
- Research: developing intensive research to serve society, encouraging open science and stimulating innovation and transfer.
- Training: advancing and transmitting knowledge by transcending disciplinary boundaries, and through pedagogical innovation and diversification of pathways.
- Student experience: creating the conditions for a quality student experience, promoting the success and fulfilling professional integration of students.
- CSR: contributing to the Sustainable Development Goals, and especially to the well-being of students, staff and stakeholders.
- International: cooperating internationally and participating in the development of the European Higher Education and Research Area.
A pilot university for the ecological and environmental transition
The University of Rennes is committed to playing a leading role in the ecological and environmental transition. It intends to actively contribute to the preservation and restoration of the planet through the implementation of the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals. This will be achieved in particular by
- implementing the Jean Jouzel report, "Raising awareness and providing training on the challenges of the ecological transition and sustainable development in higher education";
- integrating these issues into all training courses;
- developing an action plan common to the training components, research centres and the five Grandes Écoles in terms of reducing greenhouse gas emissions (GHG) and resource consumption;
- renovating the campuses and preserving biodiversity;
- mobilising students and staff to sign the Grenoble Agreement and to obtain the Sustainable Development and Social Responsibility (SD&RS) label;
- coordinating the approach and actions towards sustainable development by creating a cross-disciplinary unit at the University of Rennes.