International students administrative "to-do" list

In order to have everything sorted out for your stay in France, you'll find hereby a list of administrative formalities to be done upon your arrival in Rennes
Students in front of a laptop -  © Frédéric Obé

The 2022 international student guide

You can find a detailed list of administrative formalities in the guide below:

International Student Guide - (9.29 MB)


Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC)

Once admitted in a degree programme at the University of Rennes 1, French and Foreign students (except students coming through an exchange programme) have to pay the CVEC, the student and campus life contribution. The amount of the CVEC for the 2021/2022 academic year is €92. The amount of this contribution, which has to be paid once per year, is reevaluated each year.

Student and Campus Life Contribution (CVEC) in 5 steps

For your information, the CVEC can be paid online or in cash, please refer to the procedure below depending on your situation:

Online procedure

  1. Register in the website
  2. Then connect to the dedicated website
  3. Declare your city of study 
  4. Pay the CVEC with your bank card. You can also ask another person to pay for you with their bank card. Beware, online payment requires the 3D secure system, available on Visa and MasterCard "CB" cards. 
  5. Download a certificate of payment, which you should keep in a safe place to hand in when you register at the University

In cash at the post office

  1. First register on the website
  2. Then connect to the dedicated website
  3. Download a payment notice
  4. Pay in cash at a post office
  5. Wait until you receive an e-mail within two working days with a certificate of payment to download and keep carefully so that you can give it when you register at the University

Health care registration

General information about healthcare registration (Campus France) 

Registration is free. You must complete your registration immediately after the registration to the University of Rennes 1 and after the validation of your visa (to get help in order to obtain a visa, you can contact the International Centre of Mobility of Rennes, the CMI). Once you are covered by the general social security system, your medical fees are reimbursed up to 60%.

European students (EU + Iceland, Lichtenstein, Norway or Switzerland)

If you have a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC), you don't need to register to the French social security, and you can use your current card to receive care in France. This card is issued in your country  : please note that the request has to be made one month before departure.

International students

Registration to the French social security system is free and mandatory for all students* in France, whether French or international. In order to register please go to the health insurance website dedicated to foreign students.
*Except European Students who have already a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC)

Need help with social security registration ? Watch the tutorial here

Complementary health insurance

Taking out a complementary health insurance is not mandatory but strongly recommended as the French social security system does not reimburse all medical costs. Please double check before departure whether you have a complementary health cover with your personal or family insurance, or with your bank. If not, you can apply to a French top-up health insurance policy to complete your reimbursement. 

You will find below a list (non-exhaustive) of health insurance policy:

Information about student visa (for International students outside EU)

Depending on your nationality, your situation and the length of your stay you might need a visa to study in France. In order to know if you are concerned by this procedure, please visit the French governmental website Do I need a visa? Information about the different types of visas can be found here.

If you need a visa, you will have to apply for an online visa on France-Visas website. More information is available on the Campus France website. Within 3 months after your arrival in France, you will have to validate your visa. The process can be done entirely online on the OFII platform.

The International Mobility Centre (CMI Rennes) is a helpdesk shared by several universities (including the University of Rennes 1) and higher education institutions located in Rennes. The CMI Rennes is dedicated to International students but also International PhD student or researcher. The staff can help you with a number of procedures, on your arrival or during your stay : social security, visa validation, work permits, CAF procedures (housing assistance), etc. 

For more general information, download the international student guide below