Informing and Supporting Students with Disability

The University of Rennes has made the integration of students with disability a priority
L'Université de Rennes 1 a fait de l'insertion des étudiants en situation de handicap une priorité.

PVE - Pôle Vie Etudiante -Students Help Service)

The Student Help Service welcomes, monitors and listens to disabled students throughout their studies.

It is responsible for examining students' requests on all aspects of student life: access to studies, examination arrangements, support for professional integration and social life (participation in the university's sports, cultural and community activities, etc.).

Please note that the service does not intervene for the human assistance necessary for the essential acts of life (travel, help with eating, care, etc.), which is the responsibility of the Maison Départementale des Personnes Handicapées (MDPH).

What is disability?

The law of 11 February 2005 for equal rights and opportunities, participation and citizenship of disabled people gives a definition of disability:

Article L. 114. - A disability, within the meaning of the present law, is any limitation of activity or restriction of participation in life in society suffered by a person in his or her environment due to a substantial, lasting or permanent impairment of one or more physical, sensory, mental, cognitive or psychological functions, a multiple disability or a disabling health disorder.

What help can I get?

The Pôle Vie Etudiante informs disabled students about the compensation measures to which they are entitled because of their disability. It advises them on the steps to take and assists them in implementing the compensation measures granted.

Two main types of compensation measures are possible:

What is the procedure?

  • The disabled student contacts the Pôle Vie Etudiante, which examines his or her disability situation with him or her and advises him or her on the appropriate accommodation measures.
  • The student makes an appointment with the SSE (Student Health Service) doctor, MDPH referent, who gives an opinion on the request for accommodation.
  • A multidisciplinary team, composed of at least the SSE doctor, MDPH referent, a disability support officer from the Student Life Pole and a teacher, representing the educational team of the course, studies the student's request and issues a detailed opinion, taking into account the academic requirements and the knowledge control procedures.

The student may be present at the meeting of the multidisciplinary team if he or she so wishes. The multidisciplinary team can call on any internal (guidance counsellor, psychologist, social worker, etc.) or external (MDPH, specialised establishment, etc.) person likely to help define the compensation plan.

  • The medical opinion and the opinion of the multidisciplinary team are sent to the administrative authority, the President of the university, for decision.
  • The decision is notified to the student, who must then pass it on to everyone involved in the implementation of the accommodation (teachers and school staff).

Coming to the Student Life Centre (formerly SAVE)