A fondation to bring companies and universities together
Companies of all sizes (VSEs, SMEs, large groups), professional branches, organisations and local authorities are now part of the Fondation's network, as well as individuals, particularly graduates of the University of Rennes. In 2022, nearly 150 members have committed to the fondation, joining the seven founding members (Biotrial, Rennes Métropole, Triballat Noyal, Veolia, Crédit Mutuel Arkéa, Orange and Canon).
Thanks to its sponsors, the Fondation is setting up new actions in line with its three priority missions:
- Promotion and enhancement of cutting-edge research
- Improving the professional integration of students
- International development
- Promote solidarity
These actions in favour of students and teacher-researchers are financed by donations, in accordance with the general interest missions of the foundation in synergy with companies and local authorities.
A tool to foster innovation and socio-economic development
The Fondation contributes to making the Université de Rennes an ally for the development of companies and the region. Its added value lies in the collective intelligence and the network it develops around its projects to create a dynamic of exchanges between academics, students and socio-economic actors and to initiate promising collaborations.
Shared governance between companies and universities
The Fondation's strategy is structured around a management board and implemented by an office and a team. Since 2010, the presidency of the foundation is ensured by a company/university pairing: Jean-Marc Gandon, president of Biotrial, is the president (2018-2020). Sophie Langouët-Prigent, Inserm research director, has been the vice-president since 2010.
- President : Jean-Marc Gandon, Biotrial
- Vice-president : Sophie Langouët-Prigent, Université de Rennes
- Treasurer : Laure Quatreboeufs, Université de Rennes
- Secretary : Nathalie Detot-Beaujault, Canon Research Centre
- Past president : Martial Gabillard, Veolia
Previous presidents :
- Francois Peaucelle, former CEO of Biotrial, president in 2018
- Martial Gabillard, director of the Brittany region for Veolia, president from 2014-2017
- Anne Le Goff, General Secretary of Crédit Mutuel Arkéa, President from 2012-2014
- Vincent Marcatté, Director of Partnerships and Open Innovation for Orange, President from 2010 to 2012
Three primary missions
Commitment and donations from partners allowing innovative and ambitious initiatives to be set up in support of university lecturers and researchers according to three primary missions:
- Promotion and appreciation of cutting-edge research
- Research and training chairs: to develop research activities and new teaching areas around subjects which concern both businesses and universities, encouraging innovation.
- Research award and PhD award: recompensing innovation.
- Research conferences: to present the research laboratories.
- Improvement of the professional integration of students
- Training sponsorships (more than 120 training courses sponsored since 2011) and student/business forums.
- Entrepreneurship awareness, promoting doctoral training, providing help for students with disabilities...
- International development
- Establishment allowance for students in the final year of a research master’s degree and doctorate: to attract the best students from all over the world.
- Further examples of initiatives set up by Fondation Rennes 1: placement grants, support for student projects, the “Study abroad” roundtable (in partnership with the International Affairs Department and the Internship Department).