Finding accommodation as an international student

Finding accommodation is an important step in organising your mobility: different options exist depending on your status.

I am an exchange student

On Mobility online (application platform whose link will be provided to you by the International Relations Office of the Université de Rennes 1), you can choose among the student residences proposed: an eco room or a comfort room. The different types of accommodation can be consulted on the CROUS website.

On the messervices.etudiant website, you can find all the services available on student housing: request for a room in a CROUS residence, information on housing help, classified ads for private housing, help in obtaining a guarantee, etc.

I am an individual student

The International Mobility Centre (CMI Rennes) can assist international students in their search for accommodation free of charge. All information can be found on their website via Mobil'home.

Master's students only can apply for a place in a CROUS residence on the website.

Finding a guarantor

A guarantor is a person who undertakes to pay your rent if you can no longer afford to do so. In France, French or foreign people who wish to rent a flat are almost always asked for a guarantor. The VISALE rental guarantee allows those who do not have a guarantor in France or in Europe to constitute an equivalent guarantee for the owner.

Studapart can also act as a guarantor for you for the entire duration of your rental. To be eligible, all you have to do is submit your identity card and proof of admission to the university to the platform.

Student flats and private accommodation

With Studapart, the Université de Rennes 1 provides students with an accommodation platform that centralises advertisements from private landlords, estate agencies and student residences around the campuses and in many cities.
Available in English, French and Chinese, Studapart can also act as your guarantor for the duration of your rental.

Access a wide range of exclusive offers for periods of 1 to 24 months close to your campus: studios, shared flats, rooms in private homes, etc. and benefit from personalised support throughout your rental period. From the rental application to the booking of the accommodation, all the procedures are carried out online.

  • Accommodation offered exclusively to students of the University of Rennes 1
  • Verified ads and secure payments
  • A simplified rental file & 100% online procedures

A multilingual team is available to help you at bookingatstudapart [dot] com


The minimum monthly budget required is:

  • 500€ for a student living in a university residence
  • 650€ for a student staying with a private individual

For the first month, additional fees are added to this minimum amount. To help you establish and follow your budget, the CROUS has designed a document to help you establish and follow your budget: you will find it in the guide Mon Crous en poche 2022

You should also consider the cost of transport between Paris and Rennes (about 90 €: metro + taxi + train...) and the cost of the hotel you will have to pay while waiting to find an accommodation (about 70 € per night). Know more

Financial help

Subject to means testing, any person residing in France can claim housing assistance, paid by the CAF (Caisse d'Allocations Familiales). Only international students (from outside Europe) in possession of a VLS-TS (Visa Long séjour valant Titre de séjour) are eligible.
More information on the website